Monday, September 9, 2013

MOM FILES: MOMMA KNOWS WHEN SOMETHING IS WRONG!

For the past 9 years, I've noticed something strange with my sons eyesight. I would take him to an optometrist and they would tell me his eyesight is fine and send us on our way.  Yet he kept doing the same awkward movement while watching television. More recently, he started to get frustrated while reading and has occasional headaches. Something is clearly not right. I took him for an eye exam last year, same thing, his vision is 20/20, everything is fine. I questioned this and was assured there was nothing to worry about. Fast forward to two weeks ago and during a routine physical, an eye exam was administered. Nurse says he definitely needs to see an optometrist, his vision is 40/50. I wasn't surprised because I knew everything wasn't as good as it seemed. I brought this up to the doctor who happened to catch my son in the process of the awkward movement and put in a referral to an ophthalmologist. I felt like I will finally get somewhere with this awkwardness.  So today I find out the optometrist from the previous year (you know, the one that told me his eyesight was fine) had actually written a prescription and noted that he had an astigmatism.  WHAT? Yeah, the doctor asked if we filled that prescription and I was dumbfounded. Looks like I was the negligent one in this situation. I was extremely upset about that. I felt like he was being set up for failure. He struggled so much his last semester, and now I know, it was because he couldn't see! I'm seriously contemplating contacting membership services because they lied to me. They told me one thing, but noted something else to cover their ass. I'll definitely be more mindful about my after visit summary and will hold on to it to cover my ass while they put in contradictory notes to cover theirs. Now we know he has some sight issues and probably will be wearing glasses for the rest of his life. During the exam, I just kept thinking, "My goodness, my child can't see!" I'm just glad we know what is going on and have a plan to fix it. I'm glad I pay attention to my instincts and trust them, after all, momma knows when something is wrong!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your thoughts are always welcome