Thursday, December 13, 2012

IT'S HOW YOU SAY IT

You know, a lot of times people have good intentions but the way they say stuff comes off more like an insult.  It's not what you say, it's how you say it.  If you keep talking about someones weight or them potentially having a weight issue, they will start believe there is a problem, especially if they are still a young impressionable girl.  The desire to be skinny is real not just for adults, but for young girls too!  That complex develops at a young age and a lot of times it comes from responses to close family members.  I remember being told as a young girl I was fat every time this one particular lady saw me.  I was far from it, but at times I doubted myself and my appearance because of her.  I don't want the same for my daughter.  This is certainly a message for anyone and everyone out there making commentary on the shape of a young girl.  Just say let's work out, not you need to run so you don't get fat.  I'm tired of hearing don't do this or that because it will make you fat.  There are other ways to get your message across without making someone feel like crap in the process.  Good communication is not a talent everyone has.  Positive reinforcement is a lost art.  Let's be mindful of how we encourage our young children to lead healthier lifestyles, not make them feel like shit based on a hypothetical situation.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your thoughts are always welcome